Hot summer months are not far away!! Recently I have developed a love for mangoes and that too, Indian varieties such as Kesar and Alphonso. Last year I spent relishing them more then my kids did. I was waiting for mango season to start, but unfortunately this year because of the present pandemic situation, it is difficult to get them. Hence, we have ordered a few Mexican mangoes for my cravings. They are juicy, sweet, and beautifully ripe mangoes.
So with these beautiful mangoes I thought I would make Mango Malai Kulfi. Its texture was soft and silky, and the aromatic fragrance combined with the mangoes was to die for. This was our ideal summer dessert.
This recipe is super easy and simple. You can make it in the night to serve it the next day. An interesting thing is that I did not have a kulfi mould at home, so I thought of using disposable glasses instead. It came out just perfect, even without the traditional mould.
Mango Malai Kulfi
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- ½ Cup Heavy Whipping cream
- ½ Cup Mawa Powder
- ½ Cup Mango Puree
- 1 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 Can Condensed milk
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Almond and Pistachio.
- Pinch of Green Cardamom Powder.
- 4-5 Disposable Glass/Kulfi Mould
- 4-6 Tin foil squares.
- 4-6 Popsicle sticks
- Take a big vessel/Pan.It should be heavy bottomed.
- Add milk ,cream ,and let it boil for 5-7 minutes on medium flame .
- Meanwhile make mango puree if you are using fresh mangoes.
- Take Mawa powder and mix it with little milk to make it lump free .Add it to the boiling milk .
- Use whisker for whisking the milk continuously.
- Let it simmer for 5-7 minutes on medium flame . You can add chopped nuts now.
- Add condensed milk to it and continously whisk it .
- After adding condensed milk let it simmer for 5-6 minutes and add corn starch mixed with 2 tbsp of cold water.
- Whisk it .You will notice that thickening is happening now .
- At this point (which is around 20-25 minutes of cooking on slow /medium flame )Remove it from the gas .
- Now add mango puree and stir it continously while doing it.
- Add green cardamom powder to it .Mix it well.
- Let it come to room temperature .
- Take out your disposable glass or kulfi moulds on the counter.
- Pour equal quantity of mango malai milk into each of the glasses.
- Cover each with tin foil .It should be tight .
- Insert one popsicle Stick into each one .
- Place it in the freezer for making the kulfi.
- It will take around 8 hours or overnight.
- Notes-Quantity of kulfi depends on the size of your glasses. I have used big tall glasses ,since I ran out of small ones.
- After 8 hours or overnight remove it from the freezer.
- Removing from the mould is tricky but not difficult.
- If you have used paper glass then just tear them.If you have any other type of glass the pouring of water or keeping it on the counter for a few minutes help in the long run.
- Serve it after cutting ,or eat just by using popsicle stick.
- I am sure you will love it .
- Pleae let me know your feedback /opinion.