If you have travelled in India on highways in the eighties and nineties especially in North India, you must have gone to the popular food joints on the highways. They were traditional, authentic, and their food was no fuss. Their speciality was a very different take on traditional village food which was full of butter, cream, and oil. It was rich, dense, spicy and amazingly delicious.
This Mushroom Masala is my husband's recipe, and he makes the best dhaba style gravies. So here I present to you,
His special Dhaba Style Mushroom Masala-
Dhaba style Mushroom Masala
A spicy ,delicious version of Indian dhaba style mushroom gravy.
- 1 /500 Lb/gms White Button Mushroom
- 1 Big Diced Onion
- ½ Onion cut in cubes
- ½ Capsicum cut in cubes
- ½ Cup Peas
- 1 Tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- ½ Tbsp Coriander Powder
- ½ Tbsp Fennel Powder
- ½ Tbsp Garam masala powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 2 Tomato diced
- 2 Tbsp Curd/Yogurt
- 2 Tbsp Canola oil
- 1 Tbsp Fresh cilantro for garnish.
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Stick Cinnamon
- 1 Bay leaf
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil to a pan /wok.
- Heat it .Saute for 8-10 minutes.It should look pink in colour.this step will remove all the water from the mushroom.
- Keep it aside.
- In the same pan ,saute capsicum and diced onions.
- Take the same pan.
- Add oil to it.
- Heat oil .
- Add cumin ,Cinnamon and bay leaf to it .
- Add diced onion and saute it till it looks translucent (around 10-12 minutes on slow/medium flame)
- Add ginger garlic paste to it .Saute till the raw smell is gone.
- Add diced tomato .Saute it till they look mushy.It will take 5-6 minutes.
- Add all the dry masalas till the oil separates.
- Add curd on low heat and stir vigorously till oil separates.
- Add cubed onion ,capsicum and peas.Saute for 4 minutes.
- Add mushroom.Mix it with the masala.
- Let it cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Before switching off the flame add ½ tbsp of desi ghee.(totally optional)
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply