For a long time, I've been experimenting with Mawa cake recipes. Almost all the recipes are the same over the internet, and I still could not get that perfect result. As usual, I added ingredients and removed them, but that bakery taste was not there. They were all perfect cakes, but the rich, dense flavor of an Irani cafe cake and that texture was missing. I don't like to put anything on the blog if that is not up to my satisfaction, and guys, most of the time, I don't like either the quality of pics or the result of my experiment. Hence, not many posts.
I have lived in Hyderabad for quite a long time and call it my second home. Since I still have that taste on my tongue, I wanted the same experience for my readers. Finally, I found that texture through my experiments and thanks to Aromatic Essence by Freda Dias. Guys, it is a foolproof recipe. So here, I am sharing my work with you all. You can visit her website as well.
Parsi Mawa Cake
- 1.5 Cups All purpose flour.
- 1.5 Tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ Tsp Baking soda
- 1 Tsp Green Cardamom powder or Cinnamon powder
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- ½ Cup Butter(room temp)
- 1 Cup Cane sugar(You can use normal white sugar)
- 2 Eggs(room temp)
- 1 Cup Mawa powder(you can use grated mawa)
- ½ Cup Room temp milk
- 4 Tbsp Pistachio/Almonds(chopped finely)
- Preheat the oven to 350 f.
- Grease a 8 or 9 inch pan . Don't use small pan .I have seen disaster in the oven .
- In a big bowl,sieve all purpose flour,baking powder,baking soda and cardamom powder. Add salt and mix it nicely.
- Use a hand mixer or any type of mixer to beat butter and sugar till it is light and creamy . Ingredients need to be on room temp . otherwise you won't be able to make a creamy texture .
- Add our mawa powder /grated mawa.
- Add eggs one by one. there is a science behind adding one egg at a time . So please follow this rule
- Now add half of the flour mixture to it . Mix it nicely .
- Add milk to it and mix .
- Then add rest of the flour .Mix it properly .
- Important thing is not to overmix it .
- Transfer the batter to a baking tin.
- Always bake the cakes in the middle rack until unless its written otherwise.
- It will take around 35 to 40 minutes. It depends on your oven .
- Please check with a toothpick.you need to be cautious.Dont overbake ,otherwise it will be dry .
- Cool it over the rack for 10-15 minutes.Slice it and serve .
- You can store it on the counter in an air tight container .Though it will not last because your kids will finish it before reaching the air night container.
Smita. I just made this cake exactly like your recipe. It is sooooooo good!! The exact same taste like Indian bakeries! Thanks so much for the recipe! Will be making this cake very often
Thank You so much . I am glad that you liked it .