Winter is upon us and this arctic freeze is making things worse. After spending several years in one of the coldest regions of North America, I take pride in my capabilities of fighting the cold, but boy, this is cold!!!
Cold weather and a hot, tangy curry with ghee rice- isn’t it a wonderful combination?So for tonight’s dinner, I prepared a wonderful curry that is really easy to prepare and full of flavour. Served with roti or rice, this can be a wonderfully comforting meal for your family. This curry is influenced by Hyderabadi flavours and after cooking it once, I am sure you will be making it again and again.
Khatti Arbi/Tangy Taro roots
- 1 Cup Arbi /Taro roots(1/2 lb)
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1 Medium Tomato
- 1 Tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Red chili powder(I prefer kashmiri )
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 2 Tbsp Tamarind juice /Pulp(you can add lemon juice as well but that wont be having this effect )
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 4 Cloves
- I stick Cinnamon
- 2+ 2 Tbsp for frying the arbi and making the curry .
- Salt According to taste.
- 1 Tsp Kasoori methi
- Take Taro roots and after peeling them cut them into length wise.(Big pieces)
- Take a pan ,add half of the oil and fry Arbi till they are red/pink.(You can make this in pressure cooker or instant pot )Since I wanted to show you the process I did it in a pan and later pressure cook it for 2 minute.
- Keep it aside in a plate .
- Take another clean pan.Add rest of the oil .heat it then add cinnamon ,cumin seeds and cloves to it . fry it for 1 minute and till they are pink .(it shouldn't be brown)
- Add chopped onion ,ginger and garlic . Fry it till the onions look cooked but not very brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes and fry t for 2-3 minutes more .
- Let it cool and then grind it into a paste .
- Add masala paste to the pan again.
- Add coriander powder ,chili powder,turmeric powder to it . .
- Add fried Arbi to it and mix it thoroughly.
- Add water for your desired consistency.
- Now add tamarind juice /Pulp to it. Mix it well.
- Add Garam masala ,salt to it.
- Transfer this into a pressure cooker or instant pot and cook till 2 whistles. For instant pot it will be 2 minutes on pressure cook mode.
- After its done remove the lid and add kasoori methi to it .
- Adjust the seasoning and serve with hot rice or bread.