One-pot meals are always a blessing for busy weekdays and if that dish is Veg Thai Fried Rice, then mid-week lunches are always cherished. Here I am doing a variation with millet and replacing the rice with foxtail millet.
Why Foxtail Millet?
Since the man of the house is watching his weight and foxtail millet is considered healthy, I decided to use it in this dish.
Tips for Making a Good Vegetarian Thai Fried Rice-
- Always try to use leftover rice. If you are planning ahead, make your rice the night before- this will help in making a fluffy fried rice where all grains are separate. This will enhance the look and feel of the rice. The same rule applies to the millet as well- try to make it a day or a few hours earlier and keep the millet at room temperature for a couple of hours.
- Cutting and preparing the vegetables takes time, so if you are using frozen vegetables, that will significantly reduce the time it takes to make the dish.
- Not all sauces are vegetarian, so if you are particular, only use veg-friendly sauce.
- Cut all the vegetables in big chunks as it will result in a nice texture.
- If you want to make the dish gluten-free, use tamari sauce instead of soy sauce.
- Always use a big wok.
- You can top it with a fried or boiled egg for a complete meal.
Fox Tail Millet Veg Thai Fried Rice
- 1 Cup Fox Tail Millet (boiled,drained and cooled to room temperature. .It shouldn’t be mushy .Keep it in the fridge if storing over night .
- 2 Cups Broccoli,Peas,Edamame,Mushroom,Mixed colored Peppers,Carrots,Green Beans ,Sugar snap peas /Choice of your own vegetables.
- 1/3 Cups Toasted Cashews
- 1/3 Cup Thinly sliced onion
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Garlic
- 1/2 Tbsp grated Ginger
- 1 Tsp Fresh Red Thai Chillies
- 1.5 Tbsp Canola oil
- 1.5 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha Sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce(If you have veg oyster sauce you can use ,I did not have that)
- Salt and black according to your taste. I used very minimum salt .Since all the sauces contain sodium it is best to use salt in the last after tasting it .
- A few of Thai Basil Leaves.(I did not have)
- Handful of Cilantro leaves.
- Couple of Lime wedges.
- 1 Tsp Sesame oil
- After boiling and draining your Millet ,keep them in the fridge for overnight or at the countertop if you are already in the process of making your Fried Rice.Rice shouldn’t have any water in it .If you want you can drain on the kitchen towel.
- Cut all the vegetables in your desired size or shape . Don’t cut it too small.
- Cut Onion into thin slices.
- Chop Garlic into thin slices .
- Grate Ginger .
- Keep all the Sauce bottles Handy.
- Take a big wok.
- Add oil to it .
- When the oil and wok is hot enough add onion to it .Saute it on high flame .
- Add Mushroom to it and fry till it looks golden brown .
- Add Ginger and Garlic to it .
- Add Carrot,Green beans,Edamame,Broccoli to it .Fry it for one minute.
- Add rest of the vegetables and fry it for 2-3 minute.
- Add Sriracha sauce ,hoisin sauce,sesame oil ,Soya Sauce to it .
- Add Millet to it and stir it nicely .
- Add salt and pepper according to your taste .
- If you want to add Basil leaves or Cilantro leaves now is the time .
- Serve it topped with Eggs /Tofu/Paneer and Lemon wedges.
- Its an ideal meal to pack for lunch next day .