Today my post is dedicated to the memories of Kailash Ben, my amazing house help. So after my marriage, for a brief period of time, we were in Ahmedabad. Kailash Ben was my saviour for that time period. I was just learning how to run a household and didn't know much about cooking either. She taught me so many things and the sweetest thing about her was that she used to bring our weekend breakfast from her house. Most of the time, it was thepla or muthia. I tried several times to replicate her food but it never came out that well.
Coming back to Methi Muthia, I had lots of fresh methi sitting in my fridge, so I thought of making Methi Muthia with it.
What is Methi Muthia?
Methi Muthia is Gujarati tea time snack that uses lots of fresh methi/fenugreek. It can be prepared two ways; either solely steamed, or my personal favourite, steamed with a fragrant tempering.
Methi Muthia/Fenugreek Dumpling
- 1.5 Cups Methi Leaves/Fenugreek Leaves
- 1 Cup Besan/Gram flour
- ½ Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 Tbsp Sooji/Semolina
- 2 Tbsp Yogurt
- 1 Tsp Ginger paste
- ½ Tsp Green Chili paste
- ½ Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ Tsp Carom seeds
- 1 Tsp Sesame Seeds
- 2 Tsp Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Canola oil
- Salt according to taste.
- Tempering /Tadka for steamed Muthia
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Black mustard seeds
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 1 Tsp Sesame seeds
- 7-8 Curry Leaves
- Cilantro leaves for garnishing.
- Wash ,clean and chop the methi leaves.
- Take a big bowl .
- Add Besan ,Wheat flour, Semolina,salt .sugar,sesame seeds,red chili powder,turmeric powder,chili paste,ginger paste,and carom seeds. Mix it really well.Add oil and mix it again.
- Add chopped methi and yogurt .Mix nicely and make a soft and supple dough . If needed use little water.
- Apply little oil on your palm and make small sausage type dumplings .
- Steam it for 15-20 minute.
- Check them by inserting a toothpick or fork.If it comes out clean ,switch off the flame.
- Remove from the steamer and let it come down to room temp.Slice it .
- Take a pan .
- Add oil to it.
- Add mustard seeds,curry patta ,asafoetida and sesame seeds to it .
- Add sliced methi muthia to it .Fry it till its golden in color.
- Garnish with Chopped cilantro.
- Serve with hare dhaniye ki chutney.
Leave a Reply