Most of us don’t like to eat Lauki /Squash /Doodhi. Here I am going to share a recipe that is delicious and extremely nutritious. Protein packed Chana dal /Bengal gram or Lauki /Squash makes a deadly combination and creates a fiery taste that you would never expect from Lauki.
It is the perfect curry to make on a weeknight when you are short on time. You can make this curry in under 30 minutes and it’s best served with Phulka (a type of north Indian bread )or rice.
Why do we make Lauki Chana Dal in a Pressure cooker/Instant Pot?
It’s an easy one pot dish that takes less time when we make it in an instant pot or pressure cooker.
It is a wonderful recipe if you want to include fibre in your diet and for this reason its a perfect weight loss recipe too. If you want to avoid carbs, eat this along some salad or by itself.
Lauki Chana Dal/Squash /Indian bottle gourd with bengal gram lentil.
- 1 Medium Squash /Bottle gourd/Lauki(Peeled and cut into small pieces.
- 1/2 Cup Chana Dal/BEngal gram lentils soaked and boiled for 8 minutes with 1/2 tsp of salt and turmeric.
- 1 Tbsp Ginger -Garlic paste (Garlic is optional)
- 1.5 Tbsp Mustard oil/canola oil
- 1/2 Cup Diced onion(i prefer red onion )
- 1/2 Cup Ripe tomato diced
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 1 Tsp Fenugreek seeds(in my family we use fenugreek but if you don’t like you can certainly use cumin seeds.
- 1 Dry red chill
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 Tsp Garam masala powder
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 Black cardamoms
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon sticks
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Cup water(for cooking)
- 1 Tsp Cumin powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander powder
- Soak Chana dal for 30 minutes and boil it in the microwave for 8 minutes with little salt and turmeric.You can use stove top as well . just keep it little firm . Strain and keep it aside.
- Take a instant pot and on the saute mode. When it shows hot on display add oil to it .
- Let it stay on heat mode for 1 minute till the pungent flavour of mustard oil is gone.
- Add cinnamon stick ,black cardamom, fenugreek seeds,bay leaf and red dry chilli.
- Let it crackle /sizzle for 30 seconds.
- Add onion to it . saute it . Add ginger garlic paste to it .Fry for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and all the spices. Fry it for 1 minute and mix it well .
- Add Lauki and Chana dal to it .Mix it well.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and cook on pressure cook (manually for 7) minutes.
- If using stove top method it will take around 15-20 minutes on slow to medium flame .Cook it covered for better output.
- If using pressure cooker cook till 2 whistles(on medium /slow flame)
- Let the pressure release naturally .If you think it is more liquidy then cook it on saute mode till consistency is up to your liking.
- Garnish with cilantro ,taste the salt and serve with roti or rice.