Eggplant in Spicy Garlic Sauce. Crispy eggplant simmered in a spicy, garlicky, sweet and tangy sauce. Easy and delicious, this Asian-inspired dish has added crunch with walnuts and sesame seeds. This goes well with rice or noodles.
There are two types of people in this world. One who loves eggplant and another who despises it. I am a person who falls into the category of people who love every dish with eggplant.
I love the meaty texture of the eggplant as well as how it absorbs all the beautiful, fragrant sauce.
This Sunday, while roaming through my grocery store, I come across a wonderful, shiny eggplant that caught my fancy.
While I bought several of them with all the other vegetables, I was in deep thought regarding the use.
Why Did I Make Eggplants in Spicy Garlic Sauce?
Finally, we had the 1st round of Covid-19 vaccinations yesterday. I am a big scaredy cat when the matter comes to doctors and shots. Whenever I see a syringe my heart just sinks.
Anyways, for this vaccination, I was quite excited. Life has been on hold for the last year and we have not taken a single vacation since Dec 2019.
I'm just praying for everything to go back to normal and then we all can run our day to day lives without any fear of getting Covid-19.
I'm not sure if it's psychological or what, but I was a little down today and wanted to eat something spicy and yummy. Since I had done meal preparation the other day and Malai Kofta/ Restaurant Style Malai Kofta was there for lunch, I thought I would make something for myself.
Eggplant in Spicy Garlic Sauce was my top idea and I thought I would air fry to crisp my eggplants.
Since I didn't want an elaborate cooking process I mixed a few sauces together, and threw in some red pepper flakes.
The following are the steps to make this dish. Firstly, in a heated pan add a few drops of oil, chopped garlic, ginger and chillies. When they look translucent, add some corn starch and water mixed sauce. Then, cook till it looks shiny and fragrant. After that, add air-fried eggplant, some walnuts and sesame seeds.
Stir-fry crispy eggplant sticks with this sauce to make your ultimate Asian-inspired dish.
It is just amazing how flavorful and delicious they are. With sticky rice or any white rice/brown rice combo, this dish tastes just out of the world.
What Type of Eggplant is Needed for This Recipe?
Look for fresh, shiny eggplants. They could be English eggplants or the big ones, it doesn't matter. I prefer to cut them into sticks before frying or air frying. Seedless young and soft eggplants will be awesome as well.
Tips for Preparing Eggplants to Soak Less Oil
I have always seen my mom using this technique. Firstly, cut the eggplants into your desired shape and then mix them with some salt. Leave them on a colander for about 30 minutes. The eggplants will release most of their moisture this way.
Washing the eggplant depends on your personal preference after this. I just tap the salt off with a paper towel. I promise, this way your eggplant will absorb less oil and will be more crispy.
Eggplant in Spicy Garlic Sauce
- 2 Eggplant(small size) if using big eggplants just use ½ of that
- 2 Tbsp Corn Starch
- Salt according to the taste.
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Ginger
- 1 Small Chopped Green Chilies
- 2 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 Tsp White wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Chili Garlic Oil
- ½ Tsp Sugar
- ¼ Cup Green onion
- 1 Tbsp Seasame Seeds
- 1 Tsp Corn Flour
- ⅓ Cup Walnuts
- 2 Dry red Chili
- ½ Tsp Red Pepper Flakes(Optional)
- Wash and dry the eggplant. Cut it into your desired shape. I cut it into the shape of long sticks.
- Mix some salt into the eggplant sticks and spread it on a colander to remove the excess water .Mix corn starch and air fry them on 400 f for 7-8 minutes .Do it in two batches and spread it nicel in the air fryer . After its done remove it on a plate.Alternatively you can shallow fry in a pan .
- Take a bowl and mix all the sauces +1 tbsp of corn flour. Keep it aside..
- Take a wok Add oil to it . Heat it .
- When it is hot add chopped garlic ,green chili and ginger to it .Add walnuts at this moment .
- Saute it for 30 seconds.Add sauce and corn flour mix to it.Stir it and let it cook for one minute .
- Add air fried eggplant sticks to it Mix it nicely with sauce. Add green onion and seasame seeds to it ...Sprinkle some red pepper flakes if you want .
- Serve with rice and enjoy.