What is Fire Roasted Tomato Chutney?
This Bihari Style Tomato Chutney is char-grilled on direct flame and then mashed to form a chutney. Finely chopped onions, garlic, green chilies, and fresh cilantro leaves along with raw and pungent mustard oil gives it a unique flavour. This is a great accompaniment for any Bihari food whether it's Litti, Sattu ka Paratha, Khichadi, or plain Dal-Rice. It gives a wonderful company to each dish in a unique way. The amazing thing is that this takes very little time and very few ingredients (mostly available in your pantry and fridge.)
Why is Roasting Important?
Roasting on a direct flame gives it a distinct, smoky flavour. You can prepare this chutney after roasting in an oven /air fryer, but that won't be the original Bihari Chutney/Chokha. Though if you are unable to roast it on a direct flame, you can make it like that.
You can use this as a salsa for chips and a dip for other vegetables.
Please do try it!
Fire Roasted Tomato Chutney(Bihari Style)
- 2 Medium size Good quality Vine ripe tomatoes.(you can use any other tomatoes )I prefer Vine ripe ones more.
- 1 Small Green Chili(Finely chopped)
- 2 Medium size Garlic Cloves
- 1+1 Tsp Mustard oil
- 1 Tsp Fresh Cilantro chopped
- 1 Tbsp Onion (Finely chopped) Optional.
- Salt(According to the taste.)
- Wash and Dry Tomatoes really well.
- Coat with little oil. Make a little hole in both the tomatoes and insert Garlic pods into them .
- Switch on the gas and put a wire roaster on top of it .You can definitely use the barbecue ones.
- Roast tomatoes from all sides till they are charred.
- Remove from gas .
- Let them cool a little.Peel the skin which will come really nicely because we have applied the mustard oil before roasting .
- Mash tomatoes nicely with a masher or fork . It will be little chunky in texture.
- Mix every thing written under the ingredient list . Make sure they are chopped very thinly .
- Taste it and adjust the salt if required.
- Serve it along with the Litti ,Stuffed paratha ,Chips or Rice /Dal.It will taste awesome .
Leave a Reply