One food that is absolutely synonymous of Rajasthani food is Dal Baati. Along with Choorma, this is the most famous food from the land of Maharajas and beautiful palaces.
What is Dal?
Dal is a side dish that is spicy and is made of mixed lentils. Normally, we call this Panchmel Dal.
What is a Baati?
Baatis are baked dough dumplings of wheat and semolina. There are so many versions, but most famous is the most humble, basic baati.
The secret of a wonderful tasting Dal Baati is Ghee!!! LOADS of Ghee!
- 1/4 Cup Chana Dal
- 1/4 Cup Arhar Dal
- 1/4 Cup Green Moong Dal
- 1/4 Cup Dhooli Massor Dal
- 1/4 Cup Kali urad ki dal
- 5 Cups Water
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt according to taste.
- For Tempering /Tadka
- 1/2 Cup Ghee
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin seeds
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- 4 Cloves
- 2 Dried Red Chili
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 1/2 Stick Cinnamon stick
- 2 Tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 Medium Chopped Onion
- 2 Medium Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Kashmiri Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Amchoor Powder
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro chopped
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Wash all the Dals.Pressure cook with 5 cups of water ,mixed with turmeric and salt. 3-4 whistle or use the instant pot for 4 minutes.
- Let it come to room temperature before opening the lid.
- Take a pan . Heat ghee.
- Add Cloves,dried red chili,cumin seeds,Cinnamon stick and asafoetida and,bay leaf.
- When the seeds crackle add onion and ginger garlic paste.
- Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes . Fry it till they look mushy .
- Add coriander Powder ,chili powder ,amchoor powder and garam masala powder.
- Saute it properly till it looks fried up and release a little oil.
- Add boiled dal to the temering and mix well.
- Taste the salt,if you need adjust the seasoning.If it looks too thick add some water.
- Cook for another 2 -3 minutes on medium flame.
- Remove from the heat .Add lemon juice and Mix well.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Serve with Baati.
- 2.5 Cups Wheat flour
- 1/2 Cup Semolina
- 1/2 Cup Curd
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 4 Tbsp Ghee
- Salt according to taste.
- Ghee for dipping the baati.
- Preheat oven to 350 f/175c.
- Mix wheat flour ,semolina ,ghee,salt and baking powder.
- Mix well and with the help of yogurt/curd make a nice dough.If needed use little warm water.
- Divide the dough into equal medium size balls .
- Make a small thumb impression on each of the ball .that help in thorough baking of the baati.
- Arrange baaties in a baking tray.
- Bake for 35 -40 minutes or until they look pink ,light brown.
- After removing these baaties from oven soak them in hot ghee.
- Your baaties are ready to serve.