Angoori Gulab Jamun
- 1 Cup Mawa powder/Milk powder
- 1/4 Cup All purpose flour
- 3 Tsp Butter(room temperature)
- 1/4 Cup Whole milk (room temp)
- Pinch of baking soda
- For Syrup
- 1 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- 4 Pieces Cardamom(Grounded)
- Oil for frying.
- Combine Maida ,Mawa powder,and baking soda.
- Use your palm, hands and mix butter with it .It should be a crumbly mixture.
- Mix room temperature whole milk with the mixture and make a nice dough with it.
- Make small balls of same size .
- Deep fry them till they look little brown or slightly pink.
- Make sugar syrup and dip all the gulab jamuns in that.
- Gulab Jamuns will soak the sugar syrup .
- They are ready to serve.
I never had a sweet tooth, but my husband is totally opposite to me. He likes each and every sweet item on this earth. If he was not conscious enough of his health, he would have sweets every day.
I was just learning to cook after my marriage and my husband was a better cook than me. His favourite was homemade Gulab Jamun and I always tried to make it, despite many unsuccessful attempts.
Years passed and I learnt cooking. For a few years, I tried experimenting with food. Sometimes I think that when you are in pardesh you learn so many things out of necessity. Here, if you are not in a big city then your access to different Indian things/groceries is quite limited.
Thankfully I have always stayed in places with huge Indian grocery stores. Still, if you are thinking of eating Gulab jamun you don’t have many choices beyond canned ones. Restaurant ones are rarely good and not every city has Mithai shops.
After seeing Rachna’s post yesterday, we were drooling and then I thought of making gulab jamun.
One of my friends is an expert gulab jamun maker and I have never tasted better gulab jamun then her’s in my entire USA stay.
So I messaged her and gave her a choice between sending me plane tickets or a recipe for gulab jamun.
The smart girl chose the later one. So first thing in the morning, I made these easy Angoori Gulab jamun. They have a melt-in-the-mouth texture and need very few ingredients to make.