Growing up, our Holi was never complete without two things- one was Pua, and another was Dahi Bada.We had this really different type of pua, which is traditionally made in my state of Bihar. Ripe banana was an ingredient in that pua and it was not soaked in sugar syrup at all. It was always soft and fluffy. My mom used to make another type of pua which she called Ras Pua. In this variety of Pua, deep fried Pua was soaked in sugar syrup that was infused with green cardamom powder and Saffron.
Family traditions are the most amazing things- you remember them when you are all grown up and these things make you nostalgic all the time. At my home, my parents used to prepare so many things for us and guests who used to visit us.
I have seen my mom used a special type of pan, which was made of iron and it was totally flat bottomed. She used to make the batter and always kept it to rest for some time. Later on, she used a round big ladle to scoop the batter. She dropped that batter in clarified butter/Desi Ghee. She cooked it quite slowly on medium/slow flame with a slotted spoon. It looked golden brown in color and its outer layer was crisp with an inside that was amazingly soft. It was one of the most wonderful things I have tasted till date. She used saffron soaked sugar syrup for her Ras Pua and saffron gave it a distinct, lovely fragrance as well the lovely hue of orange/yellow. The only difference was that she never used Khoya/mawa in her Pua.
Later on, when we got exposed to different cuisine and food we tasted this Pua called Maal Pua. It is most famous cousin of our humble Pua . It has a distinct glamour attached to it . My kids love both versions, so I make both of these with the same passion.
Important Points to Remember While Making the Maal Pua-
1. After making the batter, always let it rest for 15 minutes to 30 minutes.
2.Don't overcrowd the pan- if you are using a small pan, make one at a time.
3.Always use a round ladle that will make your Maal- Pua round. Always use same amount of batter to make all so that their size is same.
4.Always use medium/low flame for frying.I prefer frying in desi ghee ,that gives amazing flavour.
5.Flip it very carefully, after the edges are crispy and centre looks fluffy .
6.First make sugar syrup so that you can drop the Maal -Pua in it just after frying.Syrup shouldn't be very thick.
7.If you like my recipe ,please like my page and follow.Thanks.
Maal Pua Soaked In Saffron Sugar Syrup
- 1 Cup All Purpose flour
- ¾ Cup Mawa Powder(you can use any Mawa)
- 2 Cups Warm Milk(Not hot )Don't use cold milk. Room temperature will also work.This process is just like baking ,where we use only room temp ingredients.
- A few Saffron Strand(rub it between your fingers or soak it into warm milk)
- 1 Tsp Confectioner's sugar(powdered sugar)
- Pinch of salt to balance the flavour
- ½ Tsp Baking powder
- Making of Sugar Syrup
- 1 Cup Sugar(I used organic cane sugar)
- 1 Cup Water
- A Pinch of Saffron
- 1 Tsp Green Cardamom Powder/Crushed Seeds
- Take a big mixing bowl.
- Mix grated khoya and milk nicely.Make sure it doesn't have any lump.
- Add all Purpose flour ,sugar ,salt ,and baking powder.Mix it very nicely.It should be smooth and flowy.
- Let it rest for 15 minutes at least.It should be done on kitchen Counter.
- Take a cast iron pan /heavy bottomed Pan .
- Add Ghee for frying.
- Take one ladle of batter and pour it slowly in the centre of the pan .
- Your flame should be low at this time .
- Cook it till the sides look crispy ,and pink.Flip it and fry it on low flame as well.
- Frying Maal Pua requires lot of patience ,so will not suggest you if you don't have enough time .Rushing while frying gives you low quality Maal Pua.
- After frying remove it with the help of a slotted spoon . Keep in in a plate . Paper towel is not required ,since we want our Maal Pua to have the soft centre.
- Making of Sugar Syrup.
- Add sugar ,and water and let it boil for 2 -3 minutes.
- Add saffron soaked water to it .
- Add Green Cardamom Powder to it .
- Let it boil on slow flame for 2 -3 minutes.
- Dip your Maal Pua for 2-3 minute or less and remove it .
- Your Maal Pua is ready to serve .
- Serve this with Rabdi or sugar syrup drizzled on it .