My first memory of eating a crisp pakwan dipped in delicious spicy dal is several years back. It was love at first sight (or should I say taste). I was pregnant with my first child and morning sickness was killing me. At that time at a friend's place, I had this delightful meal. It was bliss and I swear to god after several months I felt this type of energy after eating it.
Today while cooking this I was telling the same story to my kids where my daughter was kind of puzzled that why I was continuously pricking the poories. She thought it was pretty interesting.
So nowadays when we have not much of a choice with our ingredients, we can easily make this sumptuous food with a few of our pantry and fridge staples.
It tastes delicious and I am sure working with kids can bring much life and joy to your mundane kitchen routine.
- 1 Cup Chana Dal(Bengal gram )
- ¼ Cup Urad Dal
- 1.5 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- For Garnishing of dal (Tadka)
- 2 Tbsp Canola oil
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- ½ Cup Chopped Onion
- ½ Cup Chopped Tomato
- 1 Tbsp Fresh red/green chillies
- 1 Tbsp Ginger /Garlic chopped
- 1 Tbsp Ginger garlic Paste
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp Amchoor Powder
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Cilantro
- Pinch of asafoetida
- ½ Tsp Cumin seeds
- Lemon wedges/slices
- For Pakwan
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup Semolina (Sooji)
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 3 Tbsp Desi ghee
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Water for making the dough
- Oil for frying the Pakwan.
- Instead of frying you can bake these pakwan at 375 f for 15-20 minutes or till they reach crispy ness.
- Wash Chana Dal and Urad dal nicely.
- Boil them them with 4 cups of water ,turmeric and salt .You can use The instant pot or pressure cooker according to your choice.
- Boil it just for 2 minutes in instant pot . It shouldn't be mushy ,so keep that in mind ,if needed release the pressure manually.
- Now make a dough with maida /all purpose flour ,sooji/semolina and other ingredients written under dough to make a nice supple dough it should't be loose . Use less water and lot of muscle power to make it smooth.Cover it with a clean ,wet kitchen towel and keep it aside on the kitchen counter.
- How to do Tadka
- Take a wok .
- Add oil.Add Cumin seeds ,Chillies and Asafoetida to it.
- Fry it for one minute and add onion to it.Fry for 2 minutes till onions are pinkish brown.
- Add Ginger -Garlic,and chopped tomatoes to it . Fry till it gets really mushy.Now add ginger garlic paste to it .Fry it till It looses its raw smell.
- Add Amchoor /dry mango powder to it .
- Add Boiled Dal to it .
- Boil it for 5-6 minutes till it gets little thick . Please don't mash the lentils . Dal should hold its texture.check the salt and adjust it according to your liking .
- Note -Traditional authentic recipe doesn't call for Urad dal so if you don't want to use you don't have to . I like to use because it gives a creamy texture to the dal .
- Add cilantro and and any other garnishing if you want .
- For finishing touch heat the ghee and add little bit of red chilli powder to it . Place it on the top of dal . If you want you can mix it .
- Your Dal is ready for serving .
- Knead the dough once more . It will feel very soft and smooth.
- Make small balls of it . Try to make all balls in same size.
- Roll each ball into a thin poori type circular shape.
- Now prick all the Poories with tooth pick . You should do this from both the sides.
- Heat oil for frying the poories.
- When its hot enough fry all the poories by doing it few at a time .If you have small wok then you can fry 2-3 at a time.
- First do it on medium flame /slow flame .
- It should be crispy in texture and color will be pinkish brown .
- You need to have some patience while frying.
- Serve your Dal -Pakwan with wedges of lemon and chopped onion .
- Tamarind chutney ,and green chutney are great accompaniment too.
- Baked recipe -Bake these on 375 f for 15-20 minute,or till they reach crispy texture.