Hearty, healthy, and full of fiber, protein, and vitamins, this lentil salad is a perfect summer meal. This Lentil Salad with Green Beans & Peppers is so easy to cook and needs only a few easily available ingredients.
It's vegan and suitable for a weekly meal plan.
Simple ingredients and bold flavors are the USP of this dish. This Lentil Salad with Green Beans & Peppers is fresh, totally versatile, and delicious.
If you are looking for plant-based recipes for your meal plan, then trust me, you will love to add this dish to it.
This protein-packed salad is good for any time of the day. Be it your rush hour meal, packed lunch, or a relaxed dinner.
The show-stopper look of this salad is another plus point. This is one of the impressive recipes which will surely wow your friends or company over for dinner.
This dish is fun to make and you can easily add or subtract your favorite ingredients.
What Goes Into this Salad?
Brown Lentils/Green Lentils- I have used brown lentils in this recipe. They are whole grain, contain lots of fiber, and hold their shape really well. However, if you cannot get hold of brown lentils, green or French lentils will work really well.
I cooked raw lentils till al dente. Raw lentils are cheap, can be purchased in bulk, and stored for a long time. Having said that, to save time, you can always buy canned lentils.
Green Beans- Green beans provide a great texture as well as freshness in the recipe. Blanched green beans are used in this salad. They are a perfect source of nourishment.
Red Bell Peppers- I love the perfect combination of sweetness and crunch found in red bell peppers. The beautiful red color provides the much-needed pop in this salad as well.
Capers- Small capers provide the required saltiness to make this salad worth every bite.
Garlic- Who doesn't love garlic? The caramelized garlic in olive oil combined with pink sliced onion elevates this lentil salad to another level.
Scallions, mint, and cilantro for that fresh vibrancy. They are just amazing for any dish and in this case, they pair so well.
Dijon Mustard, lime/lemon juice, olive oil, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper are the other ingredients required to make this salad irresistible and hearty.
Vegan Goat Cheese is just a serving suggestion. If you do not want to do this you can always skip it. It does provide a creamy texture to the salad though.
How to Make It-
First, cook the lentils till aldente (if you are using raw lentils). Then, saute chopped garlic and onion in olive oil till they are caramelized.
Add sliced red peppers and capers to it and saute till it softens just a little but still holds the shape.
Mix olive oil and lime juice with salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and dijon mustard.
Mix everything together and garnish with all the fresh herbs.
Serve with a loaf of crusty bread or just a glass of wine.
You May Want To Check Out These Other Salad Recipes As Well-
Lentil Salad with Green Beans & Capers
- 1 Cup Brown Lentils
- 1.5 Cups Green Beans ,cut into your desied shape and size
- 1 Medium Red Bell Pepper,sliced into thick pieces
- 2 Tbsp Capers
- 4 Cloves Sliced Garlic
- 1 Small Sliced Red Onion
- 1 Cup Chopped scallion,cilantro ,mint
- 1 Tsp Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Lime /Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Goat Cheese
- Wash the lentils properly and cook till al dente. Strain the liquid after the lentil is done .
- If you are using canned lentils,skip this step and just drain them.
- Take a pan . Heat olive oil. Caramelize the garlic and onion till they are golden and nice.
- Add red peppers and cook till they are soft, however,they are still holding the shape.
- Bring a big pot of salted water to boil. Add green beans to it . In a big bowl keep the ice bath ready.
- Throw green beans into the boiling water and remove them in a flash of seconds. Add beans to an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- This process is called blanching.
- Whisk all the ingredients required for dressing.
- Take a big serving bowl. Mix lentils, green beans, and cooked peppers with garlic and onion.
- Add capers to it. Now is the time to add some dressing. Drizzle dressing over it.
- Add some vegan goat cheese for that amazing creamy texture.
- Mix all chopped fragrant herbs in to the salad .
- Mix well . Enjoy now or store it in the fridge for later.