There is no festival, wedding, or special gathering in Bihar that is complete without this special Sweet. It is crispy, flaky, and has a melt-in-the-mouth texture. Yes!!! We are talking about Balushahi.
It is the most underrated sweet and often in modern times, when dry fruit-laden fancy sweets are over hyped,this delicious sweet doesn't gets its due. This used to be one of my favorite sweets and now, I rarely have it. This wonderful sweet isn't readily available where I live, and it is so disappointing.
I tried to make it a few times, but it never came out perfect for me. I did not have a recipe that was fool-proof. However, I never stopped experimenting and finally, I got my desired result.
So, today, I am sharing a fool-proof recipe of my Halwai-style Balushahi. It's easy and delicious. Make this for your family and friends. Enjoy!!!
- 3 Cup Maida/All purpose flour
- ½ Tsp Baking Soda
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ Cup Ghee
- ¼ Cup Cold Yogurt
- Canola oil for frying .(If you want you can use Ghee)
- Sugar Syrup
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Cardamom
- Just like baking sieve all the dry ingredients like maida ,baking soda and salt.
- Add ghee and mix well with your finger tips. It should be crumbly in texture and when you try to hold that in your fist it should hold its shape.
- Add Yogurt and mix well .
- With the help of chilled water make a nice and smooth dough.
- Let the dough rest for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes make around 18 bolls of the dough(same size)
- You don't have to make a smooth ball. leave it like it was before. this step is important to have the texture in the Balushahi.
- Press with your thumb or finger in the centre.
- Heat ,oil/Ghee.
- Deep fry in batches . Keep the flame very slow to medium. Don't overcrowd the wok.
- After frying keep them aside on a paper towel.
- Make sugar syrup with water and sugar. Let it boil. Add cardamom to it.
- The consistency should be of one string.
- After it cools, check the syrup between the two fingers,if one string comes then its good.
- Dip the Balushahi in the warm sugar syrup .
- Remove it and let them dry on a plate for at-least 45 minutes.
- Garnish with silver leaf ,Pistachio .
- Serve it your guests or store it .
- It has a great shelf life of 2 weeks.