This traditional Bengali sweet is considered the King of Sweets. It's nothing but fresh chena balls/ Indian cottage cheese balls soaked in sugar syrup. It is the most popular Indian sweet that has charmed everyone around the globe- rasgullas.
Important things to keep in mind while making Rasgulla-
- You need to keep practicing. You may need several practice sessions before you get it right.
- Whole milk is the best milk to use.
- After making the chena, wash it carefully so that it doesn't taste sour.
- There is no substitute for the kneading the dough with your palm. If you knead it carefully, your Rasgullas will be smooth.
Fresh Indian cheese balls soaked in Saffron infused sugar syrup.
- For making Chena
- 2 Litre Whole milk
- ¼ Cup Distilled white vinegar
- For Sugar Syrup
- 4 Cups Water
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 7-8 Strands Saffron
- 2 Units Green Cardamom
- Making Paneer
- Boil milk in a big pan.
- When milk starts boiling ,add vinegar and let it come to boil again.
- Milk will curdle in few minutes.
- You need to strain the curdled milk or chena into a cheese cloth fitted stariner.
- Wash Chena with cold water.It will remove the sour taste of vinegar.
- Squeeze the cheese cloth and make a round sac and hang it somewhere to drain all the excess water. Alternatively you can press it with some stone or heavy object.
- Let it stay in this position for 30 minutes. Don't make it much longer otherwise your Rasgulla will be dry.
- Making of Rasgulla.
- Take this Chena into a big plate or bowl.
- Knead it carefully with your Palm .
- Knead it like a dough till it feels really smooth.It will take around 10-12 minutes.
- If the dough is not feeling sticky in your palm ,make small round balls out of it.
- I made big Rasgullas so made medium size balls .
- Just keep in mind that the Rasgulla will double in size after soaking up in the syrup.
- Its always better to keep your balls quite small in the beginning till you achieve perfection.
- Boil water in a big vessel or instant pot.
- Add Chena balls and let it boil for 12-15 minutes.If you are using instant pot you need to be careful about time.
- After boiling them you can see that they look slightly swollen.
- Cool it down.
- Squeeze all the water from them.
- Keep them in a plate for soaking in sugar syrup.
- Making of Sugar Syrup
- Boil water ,sugar till it starts boiling.
- Add green cardamom seeds to it.
- Before adding saffron crush it with your fingers and soak it in tablespoon of hot milk /water for 10 minutes.
- Add saffron to sugar syrup.
- The consistency of sugar syrup shouldn't be too thin or thick.
- Add Rasgulla balls to it and let it boil for 10-12 minutes.
- Let it come to room temp and then keep it in the fridge.
- Delicious ,fragrant and spongy Rasgullas are ready to serve.
- Tip- If you think your sugar syrup looks dirty then add 0ne tablespoon of milk to it. All the impurities will come on the top after this and you can remove them with the help of a spoon.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply