Stir fried button mushrooms and colored peppers are simmered in a thick and spicy, onion-tomato gravy. This is super easy, doesn't take much time, and is finger-licking delicious. Additionally, this goes well with any type of Indian bread or rice.
What is Kadhai Mushroom?
Kadhai Mushroom is an Indian restaurant-style Mushroom Dish. Kadhai dishes are quite popular and one of the most popular dishes is kadhai Paneer. This dish, Kadhai Mushroom is prepared by stir frying mushrooms, colored peppers, onions, and tomatoes in a spicy, delicious curry of kadhai masala. It has a rich and robust flavor, but is still quite easy for a beginner in the kitchen. This is prepared in a kadhai, which is a wok by Indian standards, hence the name Kadhai Mushroom.
Why Do I Love Making Kadhai Mushroom?
This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, and nut-free. Furthermore, it's easy, takes little time, and is finger licking delicious. Normally, I make a big batch of kadhai masala and keep it in an air-tight container. I love to use it in many dishes. They bring out a bold and robust flavour. Making Kadhai Mushroom is so easy to prepare with this.
Perfect Way of Cleaning the Mushrooms-
Mostly, button mushrooms are not very dirty. Hence, wiping down with a wet paper towel is sufficient. If you think you have to wash them or the mushrooms are dirty, then wash it under running water, wipe them with a paper towel or cloth towel, and let them dry. Do not wash them after cutting them.
How to Prepare Kadhai Masala-
Kadhai masala is a flavourful blend of spices which are coarsely grounded after dry roasting. It's bold and warm, and provides an amazing flavor to any curry.
We use coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds,cloves,peppercorns, green cardamom, black cardamom, and dry red Kashmiri chillies. Dry roast them on a slow flame and grind them coarsely. I love to use a mortar pestle, but you can use a grinder as well.
What Can You serve With Kadhai Mushroom?
How to Make Kadhai Mushroom-
1- Firstly, make a dry spice mix/kadhai masala. Roast all the spices listed above and coarsely grind them.
2- Take a pan. Add oil and stir-fry big chopped mushrooms till they look golden. Add a pinch of salt while doing this. A few people don't do this step and add mushrooms directly to gravy and cook. I prefer this method because mushrooms release quite a lot of water. Repeat the same process for the colored peppers as well. Separate sauteing ensures that they are fried nicely.
3-Take a pan .When oil is hot add bay leaf ,cumin seeds,and dry red chilli to it.ill the raw smell is gone.
4- Add chopped tomatoes (they should be quite ripe and mushy), turmeric powder, and a little salt as well. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
5- Add all the spices such as the dry spice mix, coriander powder, red chilli powder, salt, kasoori methi, and tomato paste. Saute till the spice mix releases the oil. Then, add just a little water (this curry is thick).
6- Add stir-fried mushrooms and colored peppers to this gravy. Add ginger juliennes and garam masala. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes on a low flame.
7- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with bread or rice. Enjoy.
Kadhai Mushroom/Karahi Mushroom/Kadai Mushroom
For Preparing Kadhai Masala
- 1 Tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tsp Fennel Seeds
- 4 Dry Kashmiri Red Chilli
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 2 Cloves
- 4 Black Pepper corn
- 10 Oz Button Mushroom (Sliced in big pieces)
- 1 Cup Big Chunks of Green Pepper
- 1 Cup Big Chunks of Colored Pepper
- ½ Cup Chunks of Onion
- 2+1 Tbsp Avocado oil /Oil of your choice.
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ½ Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Dry Red Chilli
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Medium Chopped Onion
- 1 Medium Chopped Tomato
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tbsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste(Not Puree)
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Kasoori Methi
- 1 Tsp Ginger Julienne
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt According to your taste
Making of Kadhai Masala
- Dry roast all the spices written under Kadahi Masala.
- Coarsly Grind it. Your Kadhai Dry Spice Mix is ready to use.
Preparing the Vegetables
- Take a pan .Add ½ tbsp of oil .When its hot add sliced mushroom .Saute it till it looks golden brown .Remove it from the pan and repeat the process for chunks of onion and pepper.remove it in a plate and keep it in a plate.
Preparing Kadhai Mushroom.
- Take a wok.Add oil to it.When its hot ,add bay leaf ,cumin seeds and dry red chilli.Let them sizzle and crackle.
- Add chopped onion to it .Saute it till they are transparent and sweaty.Do it on medium /low flame.
- Add Ginger Garlic Paste to it .Saute it till the raw smell is gone .Add coriander powder,turmeric powder,red chilli powder and salt to it .Saute it for 1-2 minute .
- Add chopped tomato to it .Saute on medium /low flame till tomatoes are mixed in the spice mix. Add salt at this stage..It will take 4-5 minute.If it is sticking to the bottom add 1 tbsp of water and continue the process.
- Add tomato paste and kasoori methi to it .Saute on medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add Mushroom ,peppers and onion to it .Mix it nicely with the spice mix .Let it cook for 2-3 minute on low /medium flame.
- Add ⅓ cup of water to it .Add garam masala and taste the salt .If needed add little more .
- Let it cook on slow flame for 1-2 minute and remove from the stove.
- Garnish with ginger juliennes and fresh cilantro .