Khichdi is a dish made of rice, lentils, a few vegetables, and some spices. It's quick, comforting, and absolutely delicious. It is the perfect bowl for fall evenings or the upcoming winter months. This one pot dish is true Indian comfort food.
Every region and state of India has their own version of khichdi and they all taste amazing. The process of making khichdi is so versatile that most individuals have their own way of making it.
Since my childhood, I have seen my grandmother and mother making it. It was a delight for us and after an overdose of sweets on festival days, it was a bowl full of comfort. Even today, when we go on vacation and relish so many cuisines, our first meal after coming back is khichdi.
Khichdi reminds me of home and comfort; it is soul food in a true sense.
Why Do I Love Khichdi?
1) It's a one pot dish and quite easy to prepare. Khichadi making in an Instant Pot is a breeze but making it on the stove top without a pressure cooker is also perfectly doable.
2) It's vegan, gluten-free, and quite nourishing. It consists of lentils, rice, and vegetables. Hence, it is a wonderful combination of protein, carbs, and vitamins.
3) It is the perfect meal when you are feeling under the weather. In India, if you have upset stomach issues, most mothers prefer to use Khichadi as a meal.
4) Lastly, it is quite light for the stomach and quite versatile. You can use any type of lentils or vegetables for making this. The most popular combination, however, is split green gram/Moong dal and white rice.
What Ingredients are Needed for Khichdi?
I used split green gram (Yellow Moong Dal)/Basmati rice and a few vegetables like cauliflower, green peas, potatoes, tomatoes, as well as fresh cilantro. Bay leaf, cumin seeds, green chilies, black cardamom, cinnamon, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, and grated fresh ginger are also used in this recipe.
How to Make Instant Pot Khichdi-
The first step is to heat the Instant pot on sauté mode. Add oil and heat it. Then, add cumin seeds, bay leaf, black cardamom, cinnamon and green chili. Add all the vegetables and spices. After that, mix it well and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add washed rice and Moong dal and stir it well. Mix water and cancel the sauté button. Then, cook for 2 minutes on high pressure and open it after the steam is released naturally. Your khichdi is ready to relish! Lastly, enjoy your khichdi with poppadums and yoghurt.
Can You Store Khichdi?
Yes. You can keep it in the fridge for 2-3 days. Just reheat it and serve.
You May Want to Check Out These Rice and Lentil Recipes--
Easy Instant Pot Khichdi
- ½ Cup Split green gram lentil/Yellow Moong Dal
- ½ Cup Basmati Rice
- 1 Cup Cauliflower florets
- 1 Big Potato ,Cut into Cubes
- ¼ Cup Green Peas
- 1.5 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 1 Inch Cinnamon stick
- 2 Green Chillies(Optional)
- 1.5 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ Tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt according to the taste.
- ¼ Cup Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Grated Ginger
- 1 Big Tomato chopped into 4 pieces.
- Wash rice and lentils .Drain the water.
- Switch on the Instant pot. Turn on the Saute button.
- Add oil to it .Heat it .
- Add bay leaf ,cumin seeds, Green Chilli, Cinnamon ,Black Cardamom to it .Let it crackle.
- Add Cauliflower florets ,Potato cubes and Peas to it .Mix it .
- Add turmeric powder ,Coriander Powder ,to it and mix it.Add grated ginger and saute it for 1 minute.
- Add washed and drained rice to it and mix nicely .Saute it for 1-2 minutes .Add garam masala powder and salt to it .Do not use too much salt to it .If you have less ,you can always ad it again.
- Add tomato to it .Mix it .
- Add 3.5 cups of water to it .Mix it nicely.Close the lid .
- Cancel the saute mode. Turn the pressure cook mode on .Cook it on high pressure for 2 minutes. Open the lid after the steam is released naturally.
- If it looks thick for your taste add some warm water if thin let it cook for another minute or two.
- Add fresh cilantro.
- Serve with Papad or chips and enjoy.