One of the most popular snacks of Bihar, this snack is an amazing combination of Crispy /Crunchy Grain with Freshness of Seasonal Peas.
Growing up, we have seen this as a staple snack in our household with various different toppings and it is a dish where you can experience different textures and flavours all at the same time.
What is Chura Bhuja?
It's a crispy flattened rice. Chura is the Bihari word for Poha. While making Chura Bhuja, we don't use any water.Bhuja is the Bihari word for any type of roasted grain /snack (mostly not deep fried) The most important thing to remember is to keep the chura perfectly crisp. Normally, we use a little bit of mustard oil, but it can easily be avoided. It should be roasted on slow/medium flame for a few minutes. Mostly, we use a heavy bottomed pan, but non stick pan can be certainly be used in it.
Chura Bhuja Matar
- 1 Cup Thick flattened rice /Poha (we use local varieties of Chura in Bihar for this . Since its not available here we are using the common;y available thick Chura .
- 1 Tbsp Mustard oil.
- 1 Green Chilli
- Salt according to taste.
- For Matar (Peas)
- 1 Cup Shelled fresh Green Peas (they are most suitable for this recipe)though you can use frozen ones .
- 1 Small Fresh green chilli
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- ½ Tsp Cumin seeds(optional)
- 1 Tsp Mustard oil
- ½ Cup Thinly sliced onion.
- Garnishes according to taste.(optional)
- How to prepare Chura Bhuja
- Take a wok/Non stick Pan.
- Add oil to it and heat it .
- Add green chilies to it.
- Let it crackle .
- Add Chura/Poha.
- Saute it once and they lower the flame to low/Medium.
- Continuously stir or move the Chura around the pan so that it gets roasted evenly . It will start puffing and you can see the change in colour(it will look little off white /golden in color.
- Add salt.
- Turn the heat off.
- Remove it in a different bowl/Plate.Its ready to serve.
- How to prepare Matar/Peas
- Take a wok/Pan.
- Add oil to it . Heat it .
- Add Asafoetida ,Cumin seeds and green chillies.
- Let it crackle .
- Add peas to it .Add salt .
- Cover it with a lid . Peas have a tendency to pop out side the pan .Take care of your face.
- In 3-4 minutes you will see the change in their colour from dark green to light green .
- Switch off the flame and serve it hot .
- You can serve this Chura Bhuja matar with sliced raw onion ,Fried peanuts or Pickle .
- Enjoy your ultimate plate of Bihari Delicacy.