When it’s vacation time, family lunches are always important. It’s a time when everyone eats together. At home, I never cook mutton by myself because my husband does the honour. It’s not like I don’t know how to, but I simply lack the required amount of patience. Since these days my personal chef is extremely busy I was the designated chef in the kitchen.
The mutton that I have cooked today is bhuna mutton, which is slowly roasted mutton with fragrant spices and desi ghee. Bhuna mutton is extremely rich and has a very flavorful taste.
2 lb -Mutton
Thin Onion Slices-4-5
Garlic-4 pods thinly sliced
Ginger juliennes-1 table spoon
Ginger garlic paste -1 table spoon
1/2 cup curd/ yoghurt
1 teaspoon – turmeric powder
1 teaspoon – salt
2 tablespoon – red chilli powder
1 tablespoon -coriander powder
5 tablespoons – desi ghee
Black cardamom -2
Dry red chilli-3
Cumin seeds-1 teaspoon
Black pepper-1/2 teaspoon.
–In a heavy bottomed pan, add desi ghee. Heat it for 2 -3 minutes.
-Add whole spices and let them crackle.
—Add onion and ginger garlic juliennes.
—Saute them for 2-3 minutes.
–Add Mutton. Saute it.
-Add ginger garlic paste.
-Add turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder, yoghurt and salt.
— For the first 5 minutes fry continuously on high flame. You have to stir it, otherwise, it will stick to the pan .
- Then, lower the flame and cook it for around three hours or till the mutton is done as per your liking.
- Saute it and keep an eye on it so it doesn’t stick to the pan.
- If you want you can add little water, I did not because we like this mutton cooked its own juice which gives a rich flavour and nice colour.
- After it’s done, check the seasoning.
- Serve it with roti or rice.
- If you love mutton, I am sure you will love this recipe.
- Do let me know how you like it.
- One thing I can assure you that its worth your time.